Doctoral Positions in Germany
Research Fellow (m/f/d) • German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) • Hamburg
|Time Span||as soon as possible for 3 years|
|Application Deadline||31 Oct 2021|
|Type of Position||
|Field of Research||
|Description||The German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, globalisation and development, and global orders and foreign policies. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Research Fellow (m/f/d)
Applications are invited for a part-time position (65%), with a contract of three years, starting as soon as possible but not later than 1 April 2022. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13. The successful candidate will work within the project Democratic Institutions in the Global South (DEMINGS) funded by the Leibniz Association. This project is led by Prof. Dr. Mariana Llanos.
The successful candidate will
• pursue their individual research and publication agenda in cooperation with the DEMINGS project’s research team
• be an active member of the GIGA and the GIGA Doctoral Programme, be affiliated to one of GIGA’s regional institutes, and belong to the Research Programme “Accountability and Participation”
• enrol as doctoral student at the University of Erfurt, according to the affiliation of the project leader
• contribute to all project components as appropriate, participate in international confer-ences, and be able to undertake fieldwork for the own research
• engage in the dissemination of research findings within the academic as well as policy community, and among the wider public.
Applicants are expected to fulfil the following criteria:
• A university degree (Master or equivalent) with a very strong grade point average in Political Science, Sociology, Economics, History, or related disciplines. Normally we expect candidates to have a GPA of 1.5 or better (German system or equivalent)
• A high-quality research proposal that shows a clear fit with the aims of the DEMINGS project, i.e., has a clear focus on democratic institutions as well as a strong empirical component and deals with a country or a set of countries of the Global South. A pro-posal with a cross-regional or a comparative area studies focus is particularly wel-come.
• Strong command of the English language (German is not a prerequisite)
• familiarity with research on political institutions and democratisation
• proficiency in the application of social science methods (qualitative and / or quantita-tive)
• proficiency in additional languages spoken in one of the four GIGA regions, which are relevant for the own research
We strongly welcome international applications. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all gen-ders.
Please fill out the application form (found at https://www.giga-hamburg.de/en/career/ ) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-21-15), including
• a letter of motivation, CV, and a research proposal of maximum 2,000 words
• simple copies of degrees and academic transcripts (BA, Diploma, MA), proof of Eng-lish-language
• an additional academic writing sample
Stephanie Stövesand, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA),
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 1 November 2021.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage or contact Prof. Dr. Mariana Llanos (Email: email@example.com).
|Language of Dissertation||
Rechtlicher Hinweis: Die Informationen auf dieser Webseite werden dem DAAD von Dritten zur Verfügung gestellt. Trotz sorgfältiger Prüfung kann der DAAD für die Richtigkeit und Vollständigkeit keine Gewähr leisten.