Staff Exchange Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
Die Förderung durch dieses Programm ist auf bestimmte Herkunftsländer beschränkt. Weiterführende Angaben finden Sie dazu auf der Detailseite des Förderprogramms unter den Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen.
Gilt für folgende Fachrichtungen:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development.
The purpose of the fellowship programme for staff exchange is to promote interuniversity co-operation through academic mobility and to enhance the quality of teaching and research at Sub-Saharan African universities.
The objective is to improve the quality and quantity of training and research at Sub-Saharan African universities and to promote the mobility of lecturers
- The host institution shall provide the local expenses such as lodging, board, local transportation and medical care during the stay.
- The home institution shall maintain the payment of the salary and benefits for the duration of the fellowship.
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to develop staff exchange between Sub-Saharan African universities.
Wer kann sich bewerben?
(Senior) staff of Sub-Saharan African universities who have completed their PhD degree and who are granted leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at a Sub-Saharan African host institution.
For further information, see: “Application requirements”
Was wird gefördert?
The fellowships are tenable at accredited Sub-Saharan African universities. Scholarships are generally aimed at fellows who want to go to a university in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country).
Applications may come from all subject areas with strong relevance to national or regional development.
Terms and Conditions
At the end of the fellowship the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the teaching and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
Dauer der Förderung
The awards are tenable for a period of one month up to six months and are not renewable.
The fellowship consists of:
- a travel allowance
- monthly allowance of EUR 1.200,--
The scholarship will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
The DAAD will endeavor to transfer/pay out the first payments as quickly as possible after the scholarship holder has arrived at the host institution. Nevertheless, it is recommended to bring a financial reserve for the first time period.
Welche Voraussetzungen müssen erfüllt sein?
Applicants need to
- have completed their PhD degree.
- be (senior) staff at a Sub-Saharan African university.
- be invited by a Sub-Saharan African host university.
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- be granted leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at the host institution.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
All documents need to be submitted in either English or German
- DAAD application form, duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal).
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including list of publications (if applicable).
- Invitation by the host institution
- Concept note (generally 3-5 pages) indicating the duties and functions including detailed time and work (teaching) plan, as well as information on the target group for the teaching.
- PhD certificate (certified as true copy of the original certificate).
- Proof of leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at the host institution.
- Letter of Motivation
- Letter of Recommendation
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
The access to the DAAD portal generally opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline at the latest.
For technical questions regarding the DAAD-Portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. You can find the current dates here:
March 1, 2021 for fellowships starting July 1, 2021
April 1, 2021 for fellowships starting August 1, 2021
May 1, 2021 for fellowships starting September 1, 2021
June 1, 2021 for fellowships starting October 1, 2021
July 1, 2021 for fellowships starting November 1, 2021
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds.
Kontakt und Beratung
Informations- und Beratungsstellen
For consultation with DAAD, please contact:
(Ms.) Hellen Sahlmann
Programme Officer, Section ST32 Africa
Allgemeine Hinweise zu Bewerbungen über das DAAD-Portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Wählen Sie bitte Ihren Status und Ihr Herkunftsland, um eine Bewerbung einreichen zu können
Status und/oder Herkunftsland nicht in diesen Listen? Sollte Ihr Status und/oder Herkunftsland nicht in dieser Liste enthalten sein, können Sie sich nicht in diesem Förderprogramm bewerben. Um ausschließlich Förderprogramme angezeigt zu bekommen, auf die Sie sich bewerben können, wählen Sie bitte bereits in der Ergebnisliste (linke Spalte) Ihren Status und Ihr Herkunftsland.