Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
Die Förderung durch dieses Programm ist auf bestimmte Herkunftsländer beschränkt. Weiterführende Angaben finden Sie dazu auf der Detailseite des Förderprogramms unter den Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen.
Gilt für folgende Fachrichtungen:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The In-Country/In-Region scholarship programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Postgraduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
Wer kann sich bewerben?
Sub-Saharan Africans, preferably Alumni of the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme, who have completed their PhD and currently hold an academic position at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
For further information, see: “Application requirements”
Was wird gefördert?
The purpose of the postdoctoral fellowship programme is to provide opportunities to former DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Holders from SubSaharan Africa to undertake research during the tenure of the award. This also includes former scholarship holders that have been funded under cooperation projects with German universities (e.g. from the DAAD Centres of African Excellence). The programme is designed to support post-doctoral training.
The project should not be a reworking or mere extension of the candidate’s doctoral research project.
- The host institution has to adequately participate in the costs (e.g. by providing the necessary infrastructure, other local expenses).
- The host and the candidate must have established close communication and devised a concrete concept note.
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to develop staff exchange between Sub-Saharan African universities.
Applications may come from all subject areas with strong relevance to national or regional development.
The fellowships are tenable at any Sub-Saharan African university, preferably at former or current host institutions of the In-Country/In-Region programme or at institutions having an existing cooperation with German institutes of higher education or operating with international academic partners, e.g. the DAAD Centers of African Excellence.
Terms and Conditions
At the end of the fellowship the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the research co-signed by the hosting researcher and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
Dauer der Förderung
In general, the awards are tenable for a period of six to twelve months and are not renewable.
The fellowship consists of:
- A travel allowance (only In-Region*)
- A monthly research allowance of EUR 100,--
- A monthly instalment of EUR 500,-- (In-Country*) / EUR 1.000,-- (In-Region*)
- If a health insurance is compulsory for work and/or visa regulations DAAD will accept the costs for a standard tariff upon submission of receipt of paid invoice (only In-Region*).
*In-Region Scholarships are aimed at fellows who want to participate in a postdoctoral programe in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country). In-Country Scholarships are aimed at fellows who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.
Please note: In case the research stay takes place in your home country, no travel lump sum or health insurance will be paid.
The scholarship is designed as a subsidy to the scholar’s current salary / study leave income. The travel allowance and the honorarium cover all costs arising from and in connection with the travel and stay. This may be, for example, visa fees, costs for health checks or vaccinations, baggage costs or luggage insurance and taxable charges.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
The DAAD will endeavor to transfer/pay out the first payments as quickly as possible after the scholarship holder has arrived at the host institution. Nevertheless, it is recommended to bring a financial reserve for the first time period.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds.
Welche Voraussetzungen müssen erfüllt sein?
- preferably have to be former DAAD Scholarship Holders from Sub-Saharan Africa within the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme or from cooperation projects with German universities.
- must have completed their PhD degree generally not more than six years ago.
- must be current or prospective teaching or research staff at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- must be invited by a Sub-Saharan African host institution (see “Place of tenure”, please note: DAAD does not find or introduce host institutions.)
- must be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- preferably come from other countries than the country where the programme takes place.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
All documents need to be submitted in either English or German
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including list of publications (if applicable)
- Invitation and nomination by the host institution
- Research proposal (up to 5 pages) which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher
- Detailed time and work plan
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees
- PhD certificate (certified as true copy of the original certificate)
- Letter of Motivation (mentioning the former host institution and funding period)
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
The access to the DAAD portal generally opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline at the latest.
For technical questions regarding the DAAD-Portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. You can find the current dates here:
March 1, 2021 for fellowships starting July 1, 2021
April 1, 2021 for fellowships starting August 1, 2021
May 1, 2021 for fellowships starting September 1, 2021
June 1, 2021 for fellowships starting October 1, 2021
July 1, 2021 for fellowships starting November 1, 2021
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Kontakt und Beratung
Informations- und Beratungsstellen
For consultation with DAAD, please contact:
(Ms.) Hellen Sahlmann
Programme Officer, Section ST32 Africa
Allgemeine Hinweise zu Bewerbungen über das DAAD-Portal
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>) under the tab “Personal Funding“/“Application“:
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Wählen Sie bitte Ihren Status und Ihr Herkunftsland, um eine Bewerbung einreichen zu können
Status und/oder Herkunftsland nicht in diesen Listen? Sollte Ihr Status und/oder Herkunftsland nicht in dieser Liste enthalten sein, können Sie sich nicht in diesem Förderprogramm bewerben. Um ausschließlich Förderprogramme angezeigt zu bekommen, auf die Sie sich bewerben können, wählen Sie bitte bereits in der Ergebnisliste (linke Spalte) Ihren Status und Ihr Herkunftsland.