Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
climapAfrica: Climate Research for Alumni and Postdocs in Africa • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The goal is to foster application- oriented research results by enhancing knowledge exchange between the postdoctoral fellows and experienced alumni of German funding initiatives. Fellows and alumni will collaborate in joint working groups that encompass several postdoctoral projects in a specific field related to climate change research. The working groups will benefit from the expertise of distinguished German mentors.
Fellows and Alumni will increase their research impact and output through a comprehensive training and support program, including general skills training, science policy advising and science management.
Postdoctoral fellows and alumni will connect with peers, regional and international experts and practitioners in their fields and create a growing network. This community will represent an important voice to raise the awareness for climate change as one of the most pressing issues of our time.
Who can apply?
- must be nationals of an African Country.
- should be willing to contribute to the initiation and the coordination of alumni working groups.
- should be willing to realize their project at a host institution in western or southern Africa.
What can be funded?
ClimapAfrica supports research on climate change, its impacts and possible counter actions. It should be possible to assign the postdoctoral research project to one of the following research areas: Agriculture, (Adapted) Land Use, Biodiversity, Food security, Marine Science, Human Security, Economics, Education, Energy, Informatics, Water security, Woodland and forest sustainability. If you are not sure if your research field is fitting, do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ClimapAfrica can build on the commitment of SASSCAL and WASCAL research centres. Together they cover the spectrum of research disciplines which is addressed by climapAfrica. Both centres declared their willingness to act as host institutions for researchers. Therefore, applications for the countries which are covered by the activities of SASSCAL (Angola, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar) and WASCAL (Bénin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sénegal, Togo, Cape Verde Islands, Guinea, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau and Sierra Leone) are encouraged. However, all universities and research institutions in all countries in southern and western Africa are eligible as long as they are adequately equipped for the realization of the planned research. The selected institution should be willing to host the fellow during his/her research stay and to provide adequate assistance. The terms of cooperation at the host institution must have been clarified and documented.
While the research work will be realized largely in western and southern Africa, successful applicants can apply additionally for funding of a temporary research stay in Germany (up to three months) to work on a specific research question within the framework of their proposal and for worldwide conference participations.
Duration of the funding
The fellowship awards are tenable for a period of 12 to 24 months.
This fellowship period begins in July 2020. Please take this date as your starting date for your application.
The basic fellowship consists of:
- A flat-rate travel allowance to your target country and back
- A research lump sum of max. EUR 10,000
- A monthly allowance of EUR 800
- An accident, personal liability and health insurance
Additionally, support for the following activities can be granted (subject to availability of funds):
- Short-term research stays in Germany (2 to 6 months)
- Mobility fellowships for the active participation (poster or talk) in relevant international conferences in the field of climate change/ climate Research
Applications will be reviewed by an independent selection committee consisting of experts in the relevant fields.
The performance-based assessment will consider:
- The evaluation of the proposal. Particular emphasis will be placed on the quality of the research plan. It should detail the preliminary work undertaken and the relevance of the topic for research and explain why the chosen institutions are especially suitable for the realization of the planned project. The strategy for the investigation of the scientific problem should be readily understandable and the choice of methods and work equipment be adequately established. The achievements of the applicant to date (scientific and other qualifications, and particular conditions which have influenced the academic progress)
- The quality of the proposed project and its consistency with further scientific qualification and long-term career planning.
- The relevance of the research topic for the understanding of climate change, its impacts in Africa and for the development of countermeasures.
- The fit of the facilities and the support offered by the host institution and the requirements of the research project.
- The coherence of the applicant’s ideas to start an alumni working group and to accompany it’s activities.
What requirements must be met?
At the end of the fellowship the fellow must provide
- a detailed report on the findings of the Research
- a summary of the activities within the alumni Network
- an assessment of the future development of the career paths, the research topic and the alumni working group activities.
- Additionally, an interim report is mandatory after 6 months or after 6 and 18 months (depending on duration of the scholarship).
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal (in English):
- DAAD application form, duly filled (available in the DAAD portal).
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
- List of national and international publications: The list should be categorized according to (a) publications in peer review journals, (b) specialist books, and (c) conference proceedings. It should indicate the type of publication (original paper, review etc.). For each publication the state of publication (published, in print, accepted, submitted) and complete bibliographical information (including the first and last page number) must be provided. Where available, please include electronic links. You are also welcome to upload max. 2 abstracts of two publications.
- Letter of invitation: from the host institution in western-/southern Africa (including a stamp of the institution). This letter should detail why the host institution is particularly suitable for the execution of the research project, as well as the support that will be provided.
- Research proposal: A detailed and independently prepared research proposal upon which both the applicant and his/her host institutions have agreed on. Please provide a precise description and a clear presentation (including a detailed workplan and the methodological approach). Please also describe the connection of your proposal to climate change and to Germany. The total length of the research proposal should be between 5 and 8 pages.
- Time schedule for the realization of the planned work (e.g. in the form of a bar chart).
- Outline of ideas for setting up and operating a joint postdoc-alumni working group (needs to be uploaded as a separate document under the category “miscellaneous”!): Joint postdoc-alumni working groups will have the objective to discuss the research areas of the scholars and their relevance for society, and to provide them with valuable information and advice. Structures need to be developed to ensure a productive operation of the working groups. The list does not need to present comprehensive and sophisticated planning details. However, it should demonstrate, that the applicant understands the potential of the joint working groups, the precondition for their efficient functioning, the complexity of the task and is motivated to cooperate with others in the development of innovative solutions.
- PhD certificate (must be certified as true copy of the original certificate). Please do not upload your whole PhD thesis.
- Master’s certificate (must be certified as true copy of the original certificate).
- Copy of passport.
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
ST32, Mariane Michels,
or via fax: (+49 228 882 98143)
Applications can be handed in between 16th of December 2019 and 16th of February 2020.
In total, there will be three further calls for this scholarship. The funding of the ongoing, second cohort will start in July 2020. Please use this date as your planned starting date.
Please note, that the third scholarship will start in February 2021 and the appropriate application period is planned from December 2020 until February 2021. We will provide you with the appropriate details as soon as possible.
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst e.V. (DAAD)
German Academic Exchange Service
Referat ST32 – Stipendienprogramme Afrika
53175 Bonn / Germany
Tel.: +49 (228) 882-8143
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- For submitting references by post, the postmark date serves as proof that they have been dispatched on time.
- (If further documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst e.V. (DAAD)
German Academic Exchange Service
53175 Bonn / Germany
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).