Research Grants – Short-Term Grants • DAAD
Doctoral candidates/PhD students
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The primary aim of this programme is to promote research projects within the context of doctoral programmes.
Who can apply?
Excellently-qualified doctoral candidates and young academics and scientists who have completed a Master's degree or Diplom, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor's degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant-supported research, or those who have already completed a PhD (postdocs).
Doctoral candidates who are doing their entire doctorate at a German university are not eligible to apply.
What can be funded?
A research project or course of continuing scientific education at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education or a non-university research institute in Germany, which is being carried out in coordination with an academic adviser in Germany.
Duration of the funding
- One month to a maximum of six months; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant's work schedule.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of
euros 861.- for graduates,
euros 1,200.- for doctoral candidates and postdocs
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance
An independent selection committee consisting of specialist scientists reviews applications.
Academic Qualification (documented by: university degree certificates, references, list of publications)
- Academic achievements and duration of studies
- If applicable, academic achievements after graduation (e.g. publications, lectures, conference contributions)
- Quality of research project presentation and preliminary work
- Originality, topicality and relevance of project
- Reasons for choosing Germany and host institution
- Feasibility and consistency of work schedule and time plan (analysis and evaluation steps, if applicable, language skills)
- Integration of the project into the overall doctoral project (in terms of content/time), if relevant
- Importance of the research project and stay in Germany for academic and professional plans
- Additional knowledge and skills (e.g. through professional or voluntary activities, further training)
- Involvement in academic self-governance, higher education policy issues
- Political, social, cultural, family (parental leave or care periods, etc.), social commitment
What requirements must be met?
- As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the application deadline. If you already hold a doctoral degree, you should not have completed your doctorate more than four years ago. Doctoral candidates should not have started their doctoral degree any longer than three years previously.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
For applicants from the fields of human medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry, other regulations are applicable. Please refer to the leaflet "Additional information on DAAD Research Grants for applicants from medical fields" (www.daad.de/extrainfo).
- The required language level depends on the applicant's study plans and subject: In the arts, social sciences and in law, at least a good knowledge of German is usually expected. For the natural sciences and engineering, proof of good English language skills may also be accepted if English is spoken at the host institute.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD Portal. Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
The access to the DAAD portal generally opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline at the latest.
To apply, please select the call for applications for this programme in the scholarship database (www.funding-guide.de). From here, you can enter the portal by clicking the tab "Submitting an application".
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. The DAAD reserves the right to request certified copies of the documents.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 10 pages), if applicable
- A proposal, prepared and formulated by yourself, as well as a description of previous research work (max. 5 pages with max. 3.000 characters without spaces per page plus 2 pages of graphics if necessary). A proposal is an extensive and detailed description of the research project which has been discussed with the academic adviser. Please also read our important information for scholarship applicants / section B, point 2.
- Schedule of planned research work
- Letter confirming supervision by an academic adviser in Germany, which refers to the applicant's proposal and confirms that the host institute will provide a workplace
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of practical training/internships, etc.)
- The list of publications, if applicable, should refer to the last 5 years only.
- Proof of admission to a doctoral programme at the home university insofar as the applicant intends to take a doctoral degree there
To be submitted by post:
One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications (hand-signed, no digital or scanned signature). Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
Current information on application deadlines until 31.12.2021: Due to the current pandemic situation, applications can be submitted without an application reference.
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. You can find the current dates here:
November 9th, 2020, for a visit between May 1st, 2021, and January 31st, 2022
April 1st, 2021, for a visit between September 1st, 2021, and April 30th, 2022
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- For submitting references by post, the postmark date serves as proof that they have been dispatched on time.
- (If further documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Regional Office Bogotá
Calle 70 # 4-30, Emaus - Los Rosales
Tel.: +57 (1) /9054943
Lektor in Medellín
Stefan Merz (as of September 1, 2018)
Universidad de Antioquia
Facultad de Comunicaciones
Calle 67 No. 53-108, bloque 12, oficina 423
Lektor in Cali
Universidad del Valle
Escuela de Ciencias del Lenguaje
Ciudad Universitaria Meléndez
Calle 13 No. 100-00, edificio 315, oficina 2028
More detailed information
- DAAD website section "PhD studies and research"
- Website ”Research in Germany”
- Website ”GERiT – German Research Institutions”
- DAAD website ”Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants”
A publication list, if available, shall only refer to publications of the last 5 years.
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.