Please note that the scholarship database is currently being updated.
Welcome to our scholarship database!
Here you will find information about our DAAD scholarship programmes for international students and researchers as well as offers from other selected funding organisations.
Re-invitation Programme for Former Scholarship Holders • DAAD
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
This programme offers former scholarship holders the opportunity to carry out research and working projects in Germany and to maintain contacts as part of DAAD's global alumni network. The scholarships are funded by the German Federal Foreign Office.
Who can apply?
You can apply if you are former
- holder of DAAD research grants or study scholarships and have been funded for more than six months by the Federal Foreign Office or in a programme co-financed with Federal Foreign Office funds.
- East German scholarship holder who studied for at least one year in Germany.
What can be funded?
The programme provides funding for
- research and working projects at state or state-recognised institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany.
- Working stays at an institution in business, administration, culture or media for former scholarship holders who work outside the science sector.
Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for one to three months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Please note in your time planning that the funded stays should be completed by January 2025 at the latest.
- Monthly payments of
2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers
2,150 euros for professors
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding.
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
An independent selection committee reviews applications.
The most important selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements and, if applicable, publications, which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications
- A convincing and well-planned research or work project
- In the case of working stays outside the science sector, particular attention is paid to the following questions:
- Will the stay in Germany have a sustainable effect on your professional activity?
- Can you expect it to have multiplier effects, for example, in the form of planned publications?
- Will your stay in Germany promote existing cooperations?
For more information on the selection procedure, go to Important Scholarship Information / Section E.
What requirements must be met?
Please check if the following criteria are fulfilled:
- You have not lived in Germany for at least three years.
- The research or working project must be coordinated with a cooperation partner in Germany.
- Applicants from third countries or German applicants, who live in a foreign country, are asked to get in touch with the responsible branch office or section within the DAAD before they hand in an application to discuss possible special application requirements.
Application deadlines are updated annually in the second quarter. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. You can find the current dates here:
Selection date in June 2023. Start of the funding from 15.08.2023.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- If necessary, list of your published academic publications
- Comprehensive statement about research or working project (max. 10 pages), to be uploaded in the portal under ‘research project’
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutions / cooperation partners) of planned research or working visit (to be uploaded in the portal under ‘Time schedule’)
- Confirmation from the academic host in Germany that must refer to your project and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace.
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language (to be uploaded with the corresponding documents)
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- (If further documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day. If possible, please do not send your application on the final date in case technical problems occur.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Your personal data is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
DAAD Informationszentrum Athen
c/o Goethe Institut
Omirou Street 14-16
Tel.: +30 (210) /3608-171
Fax.: +30 (210)/3626-263
DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst
Referat ST24 - West-, Mittel- und Südosteuropa
Frau Veronica Metje
Tel.: +49 (228) 882-528
More detailed information
- Detailed Information and Guidelines for applicants are available on the Homepage of the DAAD Information Centre (IC) Athens: www.daad.gr
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
Applications for this scholarship programme are possible in the period June until the stated application deadline.
Click on ‘Application portal’ at the bottom of the page to go to the DAAD portal. There you will be provided with an online application form to enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider the availability of the hotline as well as possible processing times of your request when you are planning your application.