Hans Böckler Foundation: PhD scholarship
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The Hans Böckler Foundation is the institute of the German Federation of Trade Unions (DGB) to promote research and studies. The HSB awards scholarships to doctoral students with outstanding academic gifts who show commitment to labour unions or socio-political issues. Doctoral candidates in any discipline who are enrolled at German institutions of higher education, also in programmes such as graduate schools or junior researcher groups, are encouraged to apply.
Every year the HSB assigns about 100 grants. The scholars are paid EUR 1,350 per month plus a research cost allowance as well as family- and child allowances, if necessary. Comprehensive non-material support is also part of the scholarship.
particularly gifted doctoral candidates in any discipline who propose a promising doctoral project and show commitment to labour unions or socio-political issues
admission to post-graduate studies at a state or state-recognized institution of higher education in Germany
Number of Scholarships
about 120 scholarships per year
two years with an option to extend the funding period twice for six months for technical reasons and up to another year for parental leave or if the candidate is disabled. The maximum grant duration is of four years.
- Doctoral students currently receive a grant of EUR 1,350 per month, plus a research cost allowance of EUR 100
- Stays abroad may be financed by means of a foreign residence allowance and contributions to travel costs and tuition fees.
- non-material support in the form of seminars, events, networking meetings etc.
Please find all application forms on the online application procedure here
Application deadlines are April 15th and October 15th of every year.
- material need
- outstanding school and academic achievements
- promising research proposal
- commitment to labour unions or socio-political issues, ideally in the long term
- responsible, motivated, reliable individuals willing to play an active role in the Foundation's work
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).