Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs: Foreign Language Assistants from Abroad Teaching at German Schools
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Every year about 800 foreign students come to Germany as foreign-language assistants (FLA) to be placed in host schools and support the local subject-specialist teachers in their native languages. The FLA assist the teachers during 12 lessons per week and help make the situation of learning a foreign language lively and inspiring for the pupils.
The FLA’s responsibilities include
- language tutorials and providing information for cultural studies lessons
- role playing or rehearsing exam situations with the pupils
- conversation exercises in small groups
- preparing illustrative and teaching materials.
students from Australia, Belgium, Canada (anglophones and Quebec), France, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, the Russian Federation, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, the United States and China.
As a rule, the future foreign-language assistants should have completed a degree course of at least 2 years at a higher education institution in their home countries with one of the subjects being German.
Number of Scholarships
about 800 grants each year
about 6 to 9 months
- monthly stipend of 850 EUR
- health-, accident- and liability insurances
- contribution to travel expenses, if necessary
International students may apply directly in their home countries. The contact data of the relevant partner organisations are available here.
The competent partner organisations in your country of origin will provide you with the application deadlines. Please find a detailed list at the website of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs.
Foreign-language assistants should have completed a degree course of at least 2 years at a higher education institution in their home countries with one of the subjects being German. Applicants are furthermore required to have a good command of German and must be under 30 years of age when submitting their application.
Further participation requirements:
- Europe (including the Russian Federation): Applicants are welcome to participate if they study German language and literature. Russian students may apply if they are in their 4th, 5th or 6th year of study at the time of application. Students from France and the United Kingdom may also apply if they are studying subjects other than German. Future teachers who have successfully completed at least 2 years of academic study at a higher education institution upon the start of the assistance year are favoured in the selection process.
- non-European countries: Students are invited to participate if they study German language and literature. Future teachers who have successfully completed a degree at a higher education institution (e.g. Bachelor of Arts) upon the start of the assistance year are favoured in the selection process.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).