German Academic Scholarship Foundation: Scholarships for Students
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The Studienstiftung sponsors students whose talent and personality shows exceptional promise for contributing to the community.
Eligible candidates for a scholarship are:
- Students at a state or state-recognised higher education institution (university, university of applied sciences, college of art and music) in Germany or
- Students who complete part or all of their studies at a higher education institution in a member state of the European Union (EU) or in Switzerland.
Only full-time studies can be funded by the Studienstiftung, not part-time studies.
There are no age restrictions for applications.
Students can apply for sponsorships themselves or they can be nominated by their school administration, their higher education institution's examination office or by their lecturers.
Sponsorship is open to all degree programmes and all types of higher education institutions.
The Studienstiftung works with the following five selection criteria.
- Intellectual ability
- Dedication and motivation
- Communication and articulation skills
- Social competence
- Social commitment and a broad range of interests
Students and high-school graduates with outstanding academic records may be nominated for funding or they can apply themselves.
Scholarship holders may be awarded funding for the entire standard period of study, students in BA or MA programmes until obtaining their Master’s degree.
The scholarship includes an allowance toward the cost of study of 300 EUR and a grant dependent on income, which is calculated in keeping with BAföG regulations. Neither the allowance nor the grant must be paid back. There are additional allowances for scholarship holders with children, if necessary, as well as for health and nursing care insurance. Furthermore, the Studienstiftung funds studies, research stays or internships abroad.
The Studienstiftung also organises a wide range of events and activities, such as language courses all over Europe, scientific events throughout Germany or at the place of study as well as social competence training courses and workshops on professional orientation. All events aim at inspiring an exchange of ideas among involved and open-minded students and creating vibrant interaction beyond any ideological, cultural, political or social boundaries.
Scholarship holders will in addition be given access to the Studienstiftung’s network, which comprises more than 60,000 alumni and students all over the world.
There are different selection procedures depending on the type of higher education institution, semester of study and subject. These can be read here (only available in German).
Deadlines vary depending on the selection procedure and can be found on the homepage.
- Course of study at a state or state-recognised higher education institution (university, university of applied sciences, college of art and music) in Germany or
- Partial or complete course of study at a higher education institution in a member state of the European Union (EU) or in Switzerland
- Students with German citizenship or students who have acquired their higher education entrance qualification in Germany, as well as individuals who are entitled to permanent residence or settlement in Germany; in addition, for example, also individuals entitled to asylum, recognised refugees, individuals entitled to subsidiary protection or tolerated individuals after a 15-month waiting period
- Students with citizenship of an EU member state or an EU accession candidate can apply for a scholarship if they are studying permanently in Germany and are aiming to complete a degree here.
- Only full-time studies can be funded by the Studienstiftung, but not part-time studies. Second, additional, further or postgraduate studies are not eligible for funding. A consecutive Master's programme that follows a completed Bachelor's programme does not count as such.
Please select your status and your country to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country is not in the list? If your status and/or country is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country in the results list (left-hand column).