University Summer Courses offered in Germany for Foreign Students and Graduates • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
This programme aims to deepen knowledge of the German language (general language, technical language) and regional studies.
Who can apply?
- Students in Bachelor's and Master's programmes of alle disciplines are eligible to apply.
- Bachelor students must have completed at least two university years at the start of the scholarship.
What can be funded?
- Funding is provided for participation in language, regional studies and technical language courses offered by state or state-recognised German higher education institutions and language course providers affiliated with higher education institutions.
- Course providers and courses offered can be found on the DAAD website at: www.daad.de/hsk-kursliste.
- The courses are taught exclusively in German.
Duration of the funding
- The courses have a duration of at least 18 teaching days (max. 5 days/week, excluding arrival and departure days) with at least 25 teaching hours per week each.
- The scholarships cannot be extended.
- The courses usually take place in the months ofJune to November.
- One-time scholarship payment of 1,061 euros; scholarship holders from the "Least Developed Countries" receive a scholarship in the amount of1,236 euros.
- Payment of a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe), see: travel allowance.
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance benefits.
The course fees and accommodation costs are usually deducted directly by the language course provider from the scholarship benefits to be paid out, so that the scholarship holder may "only" receive the difference to the full amount from the course provider.
The above-mentioned scholarship benefits (including the flat-rate travel allowance) are not transferred abroad.
- A selection committee reviews applications
- Key selection criteria are:
- the academic achievements to date
- a convincing motivation with regard to studies and subject selection
What requirements must be met?
- The minimum age at the start of the scholarship is 18 years.
- As a rule, applicants must be enrolled at a university in the programme countries (except Germany) both at the time of application and during the entire scholarship period.
- There must be two years between two funding awards for a university summer course.
- Applicants must be able to follow lectures in German and participate in working groups.
- German language skills must be proven at the time of application.
- The language certificate cannot be older than 2 years at the time of application.
If, due to the pandemic situation, it is not possible for you to take one of the above-mentioned language examinations and submit a corresponding language certificate, in such proven cases, a language certificate approved by DAAD lecturers can be submitted as an exception. Please contact the respective information and counselling office for further information.
If you already have a language certificate from 2020 for attending a course in 2021 that has been approved by DAAD lecturers, you can submit it this year as an exception.
Certificates, transcripts, attestations and translations can be submitted in uncertified form. The DAAD Head Office in Bonn reserves the right to request additional certified copies of the documents submitted.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form
- Complete curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- Copy of the graduation certificate (for Bachelor's students) or copy of the Bachelor's degree certificate from the university (for Master's students) with indication of the final grade(s), if available (with German or English translation).
- Performance records of the last two years in German or English
- Language certificates (with German or English translation, if applicable)
- Other documents that you consider important for your application, if necessary with German or English translation (e.g. proof of internships, certificates of employment).
The application is made online via the DAAD Portal.
- In the application form, applicants are asked to indicate three course preferences. They must fill in all fields and indicate different course locations. The course preferences will be taken into account by the DAAD in the final placement, if possible. Important: The available capacities are limited, therefore the DAAD reserves the right to assign you to another course.
- Once your application has been received, it is no longer possible to change your course preferences or change courses.
- Only complete applications submitted by the deadline can be considered.
- Your application documents, including all attachments, samples, etc., become the property of the DAAD without any claim to remuneration. They will not be returned. Applicants' data will be stored by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and the EU General Data Protection Regulation, as far as they are required for processing the application.
- Please note: If participation in the local language course is not possible due to the current pandemic situation (e.g. language course cancelled, high incidence of infection, official requirements, entry restrictions, etc.), the DAAD reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship and award it as an online language course. This does not entitle the applicant to participate in an online language course.
Contact and Consulting
More detailed information
- Course providers and courses on offer can be found on the DAAD website at: www.daad.de/hsk-kursliste.
- For more general information on language certificates, please visit the DAAD website at: www.daad.de/deutschland/nachdeutschland/voraussetzungen/en/6221-deutsche-sprache.
- Answers on questions about the University Summer Courses programme can be found here here
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).