University Winter Courses in Germany for Foreign Students and Graduates • DAAD
Doctoral candidates/PhD students
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Unfortunately, due to the current pandemic situation, no application and no funding is possible in this programme. Please also refer to our website www.daad.de.
This study programme is geared towards students and graduates and aims to help them improve their knowledge of German (general language) and their cultural knowledge of the country.
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes as well as doctoral candidates in any subject area; Bachelor students must have completed at least two academic years at the start of the scholarship period.
- Students in the last year of a Bachelor programme are eligible to apply if they intend to start a Master's degree programme shortly after completing their BA. Please submit a letter of confirmation from the university as proof.
What can be funded?
- The programme funds attendance of language and area studies courses that are offered by state or state-recognised German universities and by affiliated language schools.
- You can find out about course providers and course programmes on the DAAD website under: www.daad.de/hwk-kursliste
- The courses are exclusively taught in German.
Duration of the funding
- 6 weeks
- The grants are non-renewable.
- The courses start in January and end in February.
- One-off scholarship payment of 2,041.50 euros
- Payment of a country-specific travel allowance, see www.daad.de/go/rkp_hwk. The overview valid for 2021 will be published soon.
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Please note:
Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is possibly paid only the difference to the full amount of the scholarship by the course provider.
The above mentioned payments (including travel allowance) will not be transferred abroad.
- A selection committee reviews applications.
- The most important selection criteria are:
- previous academic achievements
- convincing arguments for choice of study programme and subject
- knowledge of German
What requirements must be met?
- The grant holder must be at least 18 years old when he/she starts the funded stay.
- Applicants must be registered at a university of one of the programme-related countries (except Germany) at the time of application as well as during the funded stay.
- A scholarship holder may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a DAAD University Winter Course Grant.
- Applicants must be able to follow lectures in German and collaborate in teams.
- Proof of German language skills must be provided wirh the application.
- The language certificate for the required minimum language should be no more than one year old. Language certificates from B2 or TDN4 in all examined sections may be older than one year.
- The following language certificates can be accepted: onSET-Deutsch, TestDaF, Goethe Institut-Nachweis, DSD, DSH, telc Deutsch, ÖSD-Zertifikat.
- Applicants must generally prove the minimum language level of B1.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD Portal.
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be submitted in non-certified form. The DAAD Head Office in Bonn reserves the right to also request certified copies of the submitted documents.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- Copy of school leaving certificate (for Bachelor students) or Bachelor degree certificate (for Master students), both with final grade(s), if available (with German or English translation)
- Proof of credits for all university examinations (with final grades) incl. explanation of grading systems (with German or English translation)
- Language certificates (if applicable with German or English translation)
- Other documents you think might be of relevance to your application (e.g. proof of placements, certificates of employment)
- In the application form, applicants are asked to specify three courses they wish to take. Applicants should fill in all spaces and indicate different course locations. The DAAD does its best to consider these preferences when it makes a final decision about allocating places. Important: There is only a limited number of available places, thus the DAAD reserves the right to allocate an alternative course.
- After receipt of your application, it is no longer possible to change your course requirements or to change course.
- Only applications that have been submitted on time and are complete can be considered.
- Ownership of the application documents including all appendices, samples, etc. shall pass to the DAAD without claim to payment. Documents are not returned to applicants. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
More detailed information
- You can find out about course providers and programmes on the DAAD website under: www.daad.de/hwk-kursliste.
- You will find more information about language certificates on the DAAD website under: www.daad.de/deutschland/nachdeutschland/voraussetzungen/en/6221-deutsche-sprache.
- Answers on questions about the programme University Summer Courses you will find here
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the PDF-document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).