Combined Study and Practice Stays for Engineers from Developing Countries (KOSPIE) with Indian IITs • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The scholarships offer students from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) the opportunity to complete a project work as part of their master’s thesis under the guidance of a German professor at one of the TU9 technical universities.
Who can apply?
Students from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) in the 2nd semester of their 2 year Master’s programme or 4th Semester of their 3 year master’s programme or in the 8th semester of an integrated / dual degree programme.
What can be funded?
- RWTH Aachen
- Technische Universität Braunschweig
- Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Technische Universität Dresden
- Leibniz Universität Hannover
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
- Technische Universität München (TUM)
Duration of the funding
7 months (from September to March)
- Scholarship payments of 861 euros per month
- Payments towards health, accident and liability insurance cover
- 4 to 6 weeks German course at the host university
- One-off research allowance of 266 euros
- monthly rent subsidy where appropriate
- A lump sum travel subsidy
Applications have to be submitted via the DAAD portal. Simultaneously, the application documents have to be handed in at the Dean’s office of the home institution. Qualified applicants will be nominated and a ranking list will be forwarded to the DAAD Office in New Delhi. The final decision lies with the Selection Committee of the DAAD.
Results will be announced by May.
What requirements must be met?
- Applicants must be in the 2nd semester of their 2 year Master’s programme or 4th Semester of their 3 year master’s programme or in the 8th semester of an integrated / dual degree programme.
- Applicants must have obtained a minimum of 8,5 CGPA.
- GATE scores must be above average.
- Letter confirming supervision by a university teacher in Germany (academic adviser).
- Applicants must be of Indian nationality.
- Applications for TU Munich are only accepted from students of coorperating partner IIT’s. Please click on the link below to see the partner institutions of TU Munich: https://www.international.tum.de/en/exchangestudents/tumexchange/
- A successful participation in a German language course at your host university is mandatory for further funding.
- At the time of application, the applicant should already be in possession of a valid passport. The name on the application form should be identical to the one in the passport.
- It is not possible to draw funding from other German scholarship-awarding organisations or from other German public authorities simultaneously with a DAAD scholarship.
German language skills are not required at the time of application.
Very good proficiency of the English language is expected.
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae
- Letter confirming supervision by a university teacher in Germany (academic adviser)
- Two recent references from university teachers in a sealed envelope which provide information about the applicant’s qualifications
- Detailed description of the research proposal for the master’s thesis which has been agreed upon with and signed by both academic advisers – from the IIT and the German host university
- University degree certificates indicating final grade(s) (CGPA /CPI /SGPA)
- Copies of GATE results.
8th April via the DAAD-Portal
Please check the application deadline with your respective Dean’s Office.
Please note that the DAAD Office in New Delhi will neither accept direct nor incomplete applications.
Dean’s Office of your Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
- Applicants submit their application documents via the DAAD portal. They are also required to submit a copy of the "Application summary" (PDF file) which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application has been completed, as well as the two references from university teachers to the Dean’s Office of their home University .
- Please be advised not to contact a host professor directly but rather take the help of your Indian academic advisor to find a suitable placement in Germany. Your advisor is expected to finalize the topic of your project in consultation and mutual agreement with his German counterpart.
- The name on the application form should be identical with the one in the passport.
- Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
- The access to the DAAD portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Regional Office New Delhi
c/o DLTA Complex, R.K. Khanna Stadium, 1 Africa Avenue,
New Delhi 110029
Contact person: Ms Anuroopa Dixit
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Submitting application documents in paper form
- Submit a copy of the "Application summary" (PDF file) which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application has been completed, as well as the two references from university teachers (in sealed envelope) at the Dean’s Office of your home institution.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).