Please note that the scholarship database is currently being updated.
Welcome to our scholarship database!
Here you will find information about our DAAD scholarship programmes for international students and researchers as well as offers from other selected funding organisations.
In-Country/In-Region Programme Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
Doctoral candidates/PhD students
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
Who can apply?
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Please note that In-Country scholarships for students from South Africa are administrated by NRF (https://www.nrf.ac.za/)
What is supported?
Master and PhD studies
Duration of funding
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
The selection process differs between the individual degree programmes. Please see the call for applications for further information.
Usually, the application procedure follows a two-step process. First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution. After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection. Please note that the application procedure may differ between the regions and host institutions. The specific application instructions regarding each host institution are listed in the respective calls for applications (linked below).
More detailed information
Please find below the list of degree programmes funded within this scholarship programme in the regions West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa, including the links to the respective calls for applications.
West and Central Africa
- University of Abomey – Calavi (UAC) Faculty of Agronomic Sciences, Subject field:
Master: Statistics, Major Biostatistics
PhD: Agronomic Sciences, Major Biometry
- University of Dschang, Subject fields:
- Institute of Statistical Social and Economic Research (ISSER), University of Ghana, Subject field:
PhD: Development Studies
- West African Center for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana, Subject fields:
Master Seed Science and Technology
- West African Centre for Cell Biology of Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP), University of Ghana, Subject field:
Master: Molecular Cell Biology of Infectious Diseases
- Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), Subject fields:
Master: Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
PhD: Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Benue State University Makurdi (BSUM), Subject field:
Master: Food Chemistry
PhD: Food Chemistry
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject field:
Master: Energy Technology
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject fields:
Master: Soil and Water Engineering
PhD: Soil and Water Engineering
- Moi University, Subject field:
- East and South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA) - Moi University, Subject field:
Master: Education in Research
- Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (DeKU), Subject field:
Master: Food Science and Technology
- Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR)*, Subject field:
Master: Research and Public Policy (MRPP)
*at the following universities: Egerton University, University of Lagos, Maseno University, Mzumbe University, University of Ibadan
- Pwani University; Subject field:
- Ardhi University, Subject field:
- Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST), Subject fields:
Master: Embedded and Mobile Systems
- Busitema University, Subject field:
Master: Public Health
- Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), Subject fields:
Master: Biology (Natural Resources Ecology, Management and Conservation)
Master: Biology (Microbiology and Parasitology) (MAP)
- Botswana International University of Science and Technology (BIUST), Subject field:
Master: Physics (by research)
- Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR), Subject field:
Master: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
- Malawi University of Business and Applied Sciences (MUBAS), Subject field:
Master: Environmental Health
- Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST), Subject fields:
PhD: Computer Science
(In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications -> daad.de/go/de/stipa10000279)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject fields:
Master: Molecular Biology and Human Genetics (MBHG)
- University of Cape Town (UCT), Subject fields:
Master: Urban Studies - Southern Urbanism
- University of the Western Cape (UWC), Subject fields:
Master: Development Studies at ISD
PhD: Development Studies at ISD
Contact and Consulting
Information and advice centres
The contact persons for the individual programmes are listed in the calls for applications (see links in the "Overview").