CAS-DAAD-Programme / Joint Fellowship Programme for Doctoral Students of CAS • DAAD
Doctoral candidates/PhD students
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
A cooperation agreement on the joint training and education of PhD students has existed between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) since 2007. Under this CAS-DAAD joint programme up and coming young Chinese scientists from the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) and CAS research institutes are provided with the opportunity of a research stay of 12 to 22 months in Germany. The programme is only for candidates aiming to gain a doctorate in China. Research stays at Max-Planck or Fraunhofer institutes are not eligible for funding.
Who can apply?
Up and coming young Chinese scientists from a CAS institute or the UCAS who wish to carry out part of their doctoral research in Germany.
What can be funded?
A research stay at a German institution of higher education or research institution, with the exception of Max-Planck or Fraunhofer institutes.
Duration of the funding
12 – 22 months
- A monthly scholarship payment of 1,350 euro from UCAS in the first year, 1,200 euro from DAAD in the second year
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance
- A lump sum travel allowance
In March of the subsequent year candidates will be invited for an interview in Beijing with a selection committee consisting of experts from the CAS and the DAAD.
What requirements must be met?
- Doctoral candidates or participants in a combined Master and PhD programme who commenced their studies at least one year before.
- Doctoral students with a confirmed job offer for after their PhD may not apply.
- No more than three years should have been passed since the starting of doctoral studies or the combined Master and PhD programme.
Applicants must provide evidence that they hold one of the following language qualifications:
- Englisch: IELTS (5,5) / TOEFL iBT (80)
- German: DSH II / TestDaF4x4 or higher
Detailed information on what application papers need to be submitted to CAS can be found on the CAS-webpage
- The application procedure for DAAD occurs online through the DAAD Portal.
- There must always be handed in a translation of Chinese documents.
- Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. DAAD will only request certified copies of the submitted documents in paper form if a grant is awarded.
- Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form
- List of publications if applicable
- Extensive and detailed description of the research proposal which has been agreed upon with the academic adviser (signed by the German host professor)
- Schedule of planned research work (signed by the German host professor)
- Letter confirming supervision by an academic adviser in Germany
- If available, admission to doctoral programme in China
- Address Sheet
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of placements, etc.)
- University degree certificate indicating final grades (Bachelor and Master: applicants of successive postgraduate-doctoral program submit an education cerificate instead of the graduation certificate)
- Certificate of knowledge of German or English language
- German: DSH II / TestDaF4x4 or higher
2. To be submitted by post:
- Two recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
The application occurs online through the DAAD Portal in the period between 04 November and 04 December
Beijing Branch Office
German Academic Exchange Service
Unit 1718, Landmark Tower 2, 8 North Dongsanhuan Road, Chaoyang District
Tel.: +86 (10)/6590-6656
Fax.: +86 (10)/6590-6393
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal (see Item 1) and by post (see Item 2). The postmark date serves as proof that the application has been dispatched on time.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Herr LI Maoli
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (Int. cooperations Office)
Shijingshan District, No. 19A Yuquan Road
100049Beijing, PR China
UCAS Foreign Students Bldg. 122
Tel.: +86 010/88256206
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Branch Office Beijing
Landmark Tower 2, Unit 1718,
8 North Dongsanhuan Road,
100004 Beijing, VR China
Tel.: +86 010/6590 6656
Mail: Ren JIE
Homepage: DAAD Branch Office Beijing
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.