In-Country/In-Region Programme Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
Doctoral candidates/PhD students
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long-term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
Who can apply?
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Please note that In-Country scholarships for students from South Africa are administrated by NRF (https://www.nrf.ac.za/)
What is supported?
Master and PhD studies
Duration of funding
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
For further information, please see the call for applications of the degree programme you wish to apply for.
The selection process differs between the individual degree programmes. Please see the call for applications for further information.
Usually, the application procedure follows a two-step process. First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution. After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection. Please note that the application procedure may differ between the regions and host institutions. The specific application instructions regarding each host institution are listed in the respective calls for applications (linked below).
More detailed information
Please find below the list of degree programmes funded within this scholarship programme in the regions West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa, including the links to the respective calls for applications.
West and Central Africa
- University of Abomey – Calavi (UAC) Faculty of Agronomic Sciences, Subject field: Mathematics (Master, PhD)
as well as
International Chair in Mathematical Physics and Applications (CIPMA), Subject fields: Natural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- International Institute for Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE), Subject field: Engineering (Master, PhD)
- University for Development Studies (UDS), Department of Public Health, Subject field: Medicine - Public Health (Master Phil, Master Sc)
- University of Ghana, Regional Institute for Population Studies (RIPS), Subject field: Humanities / Political Science (Master, PhD)
as well as
West African Center for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana, Subject fields: Master Seed Science and Technology (Master) and Plant breeding (PhD)
- University of Ibadan, Subject fields: Fisheries Management and Energy Studies (Master)
- Centre d 'Etudes Régional pour l'Amélioration de l'Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS), Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- Addis Ababa University - IPSS, Subject field: Global & Area Studies (PhD)
- Hawassa University - Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (WGCF), Subject field: Agro-Forestry (Master)
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject fields: Information Technology (PhD), Mechanical Engineering (PhD)
- Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Subject field: Health Management (taught at Strathmore University) (PhD)
- Kenyatta University, Subject fields: Biotechnology (PhD), Environmental Planning (PhD), Renewable Energy (Master)
- Moi University, Subject field: Mathematics (PhD)
as well as
East and South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA) - Moi University, Subject fields: Education (Master), Sociology of Education (PhD)
- Mount Kenya University, Subject fields: Medical Surgical Nursing (Master), Public Health (Master)
- Strathmore University, Subject fields: Computer Science/IT (PhD), Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- Alzaiem Alazhari University, Subject field: Family Medicine (Master)
- Ardhi University, Subject fields: Built Environment Analysis (PhD), Housing and Settlement Studies (PhD), Urban Planning and Management (PhD)
- Tanzanian-German Centre for East African Legal Studies (TGCL), University of Dar es Salaam, Subject field: Law (Master)
- Busitema University, Subject field: Public Health (Master)
- Makerere University, Subject fields: Environment and Natural Ressource (Master), Plant Breeding (PhD)
- African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Subject field: Agriculture Economics (PhD)
- International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Subject field: Insect Science (PhD)
- Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR), Subject field: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (PhD)
- University of Malawi, Subject field: Environmental health (Master)
- University of Namibia (UNAM), Subject fields: Biodiversity Management (Master)
South Africa (In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications -> daad.de/go/de/stipa10000279)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject fields: Molecular Biology and Human Genetics (Master, PhD) as well as Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- University of Witwatersrand, African Centre for Migration and Displacement (ACMS), Subject field: Migration and Displacement Studies (Master, PhD)
See also: In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme “Strengthening Capacities for Land Governance in Africa” (SLGA), further information: https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/de/21148-stipendiendatenbank/?detail=57314592
Contact and Consulting
Information and advice centres
The contact persons for the individual programmes are listed in the calls for applications (see links in the "Overview")
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).