University Winter Courses Online for Foreign Students and Graduates • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
This scholarship programme is designed for students, graduates and doctoral candidates and aims to help them improve their knowledge of the German language (general language) as well as German regional and cultural studies.
Important note: Please be aware that a simultaneous application to this programme and to the programme 'University Winter Courses Online for Foreign Students and Graduates' is not permitted and will result in exclusion from both application procedures.
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to students and graduates as well as doctoral candidates in any subject area.
- Undergraduate students must have completed at least two academic years when the scholarship period starts.
- Students in the last year of a study programme are eligible to apply if they continue their studies in a postgraduate study programme shortly after completing their undergraduate degree. Please submit a letter of confirmation from your university as proof.
What can be funded?
- The programme funds attendance of an online language and regional studies course with language level B1/B2 that is offered by a state or state-recognised German university or by an affiliated language school.
- The course is taught exclusively in German.
Duration of the funding
- Up to 6 weeks
- The grants are not extendable.
- The course will take place in the period from January to February 2024. The exact course dates will be communicated in due time before the course starts.
- One-time scholarship payment of 300 euros
- Tuition fee for the online language course (will be transferred directly to the course provider by the DAAD)
A qualified selection committee will review all applications.
The most important selection criteria are:
- Previous academic achievements
- Convincing letter of motivation for choice of study programme and future academic project
- For more general information on language certificates, please visit the DAAD website at: https://www.daad.de/de/studieren-und-forschen-in-deutschland/studium-planen/die-deutsche-sprache/
- Answers to frequently asked questions regarding the University Winter Courses Online programme can be found here: FAQ (in German)
What requirements must be met?
- The grant holder must be at least 18 years old when starting the online course.
- Applicants must be registered at a university of one of the programme-related countries (except Germany) at the time of application as well as during the online course.
- Two years must pass between two grants for a university winter or university summer course (in person or online).
- Applicants must be able to follow lectures in German and participate in group work.
- Applicants must prove a German language level of at least B1.
- German language skills must be proven at the time of application.
- Language skills must be verified by onSET-Deutsch, TestDaF, Goethe Institut Zertifikat, DSD, DSH, telc Deutsch, ÖSD-Zertifikat or baccalaureate (for specialised language courses only).
- The language certificate cannot be older than 1 year at the time of application (this also applies to DSH).
August 15th 2023, 23:59 CEST (Central European Summer Time)
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be submitted in non-authenticated form. The DAAD Head Office in Bonn reserves the right to request authenticated copies of the submitted documents at any time during the application procedure.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- For undergraduate students: Copy of school leaving certificate with grades (with German or English translation)
- For graduate students and doctoral candidates: Copy of the last university degree certificate (with German or English translation)
- Proof of credits for all university examinations (with final grades) incl. explanation of grading systems (with German or English) translation
- Language certificates (with German or English translation, if applicable)
- Other documents you think might be of relevance to your application (e.g. proof of placements, certificates of employment)
Please submit your application online through the DAAD Portal.
- Only complete applications that are submitted by the application deadline can be considered.
- Your application documents, including all attachments, samples, etc., become property of the DAAD without any claim to remuneration. They will not be returned. Applicants' data will be stored by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and the EU General Data Protection Regulation, as far as they are required for processing the application.
- Important: Please be aware that it is not possible to apply for the programme “University Winter Courses in Germany for Foreign Students and Graduates” at the same time. In case of application to both programmes, your application will be invalid.
Contact and Consulting
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
Applications for this scholarship programme are possible in the period 01.07. until the stated application deadline.
Click on "Application portal" at the bottom of the page to go to the DAAD portal. There you will be provided with an online application form to enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except work samples) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider the availability of the hotline as well as possible processing times of your request when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country is not in the list? If your status and/or country is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country in the results list (left-hand column).