DAAD-Short-term scholarships for master's degree students • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The aim of the scholarship is to enable Chinese students to become acquainted with the German university and research landscape and help them establish contact to potential supervisors for subsequent doctoral degrees.
Who can apply?
Chinese graduates from a "211" university and CAS institute from all disciplines are eligible to apply.
What can be funded?
A research visit as part of the Master's thesis at a state or state-recognised German university or non-university research institute.
Duration of the funding
1-3 months (maximum of 90 days)
- Monthly scholarship payments of 850 euros
- Currently valid travel allowance
- Medical, accident and personal liability insurance
What requirements must be met?
- Enrolment in a full-time Master degree course at a Chinese "211" university or CAS institute. Before the scholarship starts, applicants must have completed the second semester of their Master degree course.
- Applicants must be able to prove they have completed a Bachelor degree at a Chinese university (xueshi). As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the time of application.
- Application documents must be accompanied by a reference from the Chinese professor and written confirmation that the applicant has academic supervision in Germany with explicit reference to the applicant's planned undertaking. The letter confirming supervision should also indicate whether the supervisor intends to supervise the candidate as a doctoral student if he/she successfully completes his/her Master's degree. An appropriate form is available for this purpose.
- Apart from previous academic achievements, the most important selection criterion is a convincing work and study plan for the visit to Germany, which has been coordinated with an academic advisor at the chosen host institute in Germany. It should also describe future academic and professional plans.
- Applicants who are already in Germany cannot be considered. Students who have spent a mandatory period in Germany as part of their Master degree programme (e.g. double degree programmes) or who take part in an exchange programme at a German partner university for a year are also not eligible for funding.
The applicant is required to be sufficiently proficient in German or English to be able carry out his/her project. Language skills have to be proven by TestDaF, DSH II or IELTS (5.5), TOEFL iBT (80) or TEM (8) certificates.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. DAAD's Head Office in Bonn will only request certified copies of the submitted documents in paper form if a grant is awarded!
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae
- Extensive and detailed description of the study or research proposal and a description of previous study or research work which may be of particular relevance to the decision.
- Letter confirming supervision
- A precise schedule which has been coordinated with the host institute
- Officially certified copies of all university certificates for all annual examinations (with all individual grades)
- Language certificate; this should indicate the level of German/English language skills at the time of application
- One recent reference from a relevant professor which provides information about the applicant's academic qualifications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
- All certificates must accompanied by an explanation of grading systems. Copies of certificates must be officially certified and if possible presented in DIN A4 or DIN A5 format. It suffices if a stamp or signature from one of the following instances testifies that the copy is a true copy of the original document: embassy or consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany, German school or university that issued the original document. The correctness of the translations must be confirmed. Original certificates are only required upon enrolment in Germany.
31st May for funding from October, and 15th December for funding from May
DAAD Beijing Branch Office
Landmark Tower 2, Unit 1718,
8 North Dongsanhuan Road,
100004 Beijing, VR China
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents on time. For submitting application documents by post, the postmark date serves as proof that they have been dispatched on time.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).