Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists • DAAD
Doctoral candidates/PhD students
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
This programme offers you the opportunity to network amongst colleagues and exchange experience in the framework of short-term research stays in Germany.
Who can apply?
University teachers and established academics and scientists who have usually completed a doctoral degree and work at a university or research institute in their home country can apply.
Former holders of fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation are requested to contact first the Humboldt Foundation.
What can be funded?
The programme provides funding for research stays at state or state-recognised institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany. A research stay can also take place at several host institutions.
Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
Lecture tours or visits to congresses are not funded.
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for one to three months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Please note in your time planning that the funded stays should be completed by January 2024 at the latest.
- Monthly payments of
2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers,
2,150 euros for professors
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Green Mobility Top Up (Support for climate-friendly travel) or partial reimbursement of carbon offset payments for air travel
- Other payments cannot be made.
An independent selection committee reviews applications.
The most important selection criteria are:
- academic achievements and recent publications which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications
- a convincing and well-planned research project
For more information on the selection procedure, go to Important Scholarship Information / Section E.
What requirements must be met?
Please check if the following criteria are fulfilled:
- Applicants must work at a university or institute of higher education in their home country.
- The research project must be coordinated with an academic host institute in Germany. You must be provided with a workplace.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 10 pages). Please also read our important information for scholarship applicants / section B, point 2.
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes / academic hosts) of the planned research stay
- Confirmation from the academic host in Germany; the confirmation must refer to your project and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
To apply, please select the call for applications for this programme in the scholarship database (www.funding-guide.de). From here, you can enter the portal by clicking the tab "Submitting an application".
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. You can find the current dates here:
Selection date in March 2023. Start of the funding from June 2023.
The funding period should end by December 31, 2023.
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- (If documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that your applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Your personal data is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
DAAD Information Centre Budapest
Német Felsöoktatási Információs Központ
Madách Imre út 13-14
Tel.: +36 (1)/413-7037
Fax.: +36 (1)/413-7038
More detailed information
- DAAD website "Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants"
- DAAD website section "Doing a PhD and Research in Germany"
- Website ”Research in Germany”
- Website ”GERiT – German Research Institutions”
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).