Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Applicants are highly qualified scientists and scholars from abroad just embarking on their academic careers who completed their doctorates less than 4 years ago. The fellowship gives international candidates from all disciplines the opportunity to realise a long-term research project (6 to 24 months) of their own design in cooperation with an academic host of their choice at a research institution in Germany. Scientists and scholars from all disciplines and countries may apply.
The research is carried out in cooperation with academic hosts at research institutions in Germany. Applicants choose their own topic of research and their host in Germany.
The fellows receive the amount of 2,500 EUR per month in addition to a number of further benefits.
academics from abroad with above average qualifications, at the beginning of their academic career, with a doctorate awarded no more than 4 years earlier
Number of Scholarships
Every year the Foundation awards about 500 Humboldt Research Fellowships for postdoctoral and experienced researchers.
6 to 24 months
The fellowship is worth 2,500 EUR a month.
- mobility lump sum
- payments towards health and liability insurance
- travel allowance
- language grant
- allowance for accompanying family members
- standard allowance for single parents with children accompanying them
- option to additionally extend the research grant, if the fellow is accompanied by children under the age of 12
- research cost allowance
- Europe allowance
- extensive alumni sponsorship
Detailed information on the application and selection procedures can be found here.
Applications are possible at any time.
The Selection Committee responsible for reviewing applications to this programme meets every March, July and November.
- doctorate or comparable academic degree (PhD, CSc or equivalent) obtained no more than 4 years before the date of application. Candidates who have almost completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply, provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation, however, at the earliest, 6 months prior to the completion of their dissertation.
- academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses
- confirmation that research facilities are available, mentoring agreement and a detailed expert's statement by an academic host at a research institution in Germany
- expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and another academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant's qualification, preferably including reviewers not working at the applicant's own institute
- necessary language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German, if it is necessary to carry out the project successfully, otherwise a good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English
Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submitting the application. Candidates who hold German citizenship are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located abroad on the assumption of permanence for at least 5 years. Potential applicants who have completed their school education and one university degree or one university degree and their doctorate in Germany are subject to the regulations governing German citizens.
Please select your status and your country to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country is not in the list? If your status and/or country is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country in the results list (left-hand column).