Friedrich Naumann Foundation: Scholarship for Doctoral Students
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The FNS doctoral funding is intended for highly talented post-graduates from abroad.
Equal importance is placed on both material and non-material support: Scholarship, study cost- and foreign residence allowances, etc. are a means to ensure financial stability. But participating in education projects, getting involved in activities by other scholarship holders and contributing ideas to the Foundation’s work is what breathes life into non-material support.
The candidates’ academic records show a special talent for scientific work and outstanding promise for contributions to research. The scholarships are awarded independent of parental income and need not be repaid.
Not eligible for funding are
- doctoral theses in the fields of human medicine or dentistry
- post-doctoral programmes
- post-graduate courses
- doctoral theses in their final stages
- projects such as funding for printing costs, travel allowances, etc.
Law graduates are only eligible for application, if they have already completed their legal internship or if they start the internship after completion of their doctoral thesis. The doctoral programme may not be interrupted by a period of internship.
early-career scientists committed to the political ideas of the German liberal party who are willing to take responsibility. Scholars come from any discipline at universities of applied sciences or higher-education institutions in Germany and are considered to be members of the liberal family.
unconditional admission to a doctoral programme or enrolment for a post-graduate course
Number of Scholarships
Every year the Foundation supports about 150 doctoral candidates from Germany and abroad.
Post-graduate scholarships are initially awarded for one year; they may be extended by a further year on application. Sponsorship for a period exceeding three years is possible only for another year in cases of exception, such as childcare responsibilities or illness.
The sponsorship is worth up to EUR 1,200 per month plus a contribution to health insurance. Besides, the FNS offers non-material support in the form of a variety of projects, events and initiatives.
You will find all application forms and relevant information on the application procedure here
Applications are only possible here. Closing dates for application are 30 April and 31 October of each year.
- giftedness: Candidates have very good to outstanding academic or scientific records in their subject areas and well-rounded interests within school or university and beyond.
- personal requirements: Candidates are reliable, highly motivated personalities, who are willing to make decisions and take responsibility in the tradition of the German liberal party and ready to actively contribute to the further development of the social, political, cultural and economic life.
- social and political engagement: Candidates have a distinct liberal profile combined with an awareness of and commitment to social and political issues, which translates into participation in higher-education institutions, engagement in a liberal political party or organisations, associations and initiatives.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).