German Research Foundation (DFG): Heisenberg Programme
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The Heisenberg Programme sponsors outstanding researchers who are qualified for tenured professorship: they have the opportunity to prepare for a scientific leadership position and simultaneously continue performing top-class research. The programme is primarily intended for researchers who have qualified for professorship via the Emmy Noether Programme, DFG staff positions, private-sector research or mid-level faculty positions. The target group also includes junior professors who have received positive evaluations, applicants who have achieved their habilitation or equivalent, German researchers returning from abroad and appropriately qualified international researchers looking to pursue careers in Germany.
The Heisenberg Programme offers candidates four different modules
- the Heisenberg position
- the Heisenberg temporary substitute position for clinicians
- the Heisenberg professorship
- the Heisenberg fellowship
After being accepted into the Heisenberg Programme, awardees may either choose one of the above or combine one or more of the modules during the sponsorship. The funding extends over a period of five years at most.
junior academics from all disciplines able to provide proof of eligibility for appointment to a professorship by means of a qualification to teach in higher education (habilitation or habilitation-equivalent achievements) and particularly outstanding academic achievements
habilitation or equivalent achievements
up to five years. The funding will initially be granted for three years with the option to extend for a further two years. At the end of the third year an evaluation will take place which is carried out on the basis of an interim report which should be submitted to the DFG about 30 to 32 months after the funding has started. Upon a positive evaluation, the funds for the remaining two years may be claimed at once.
- Heisenberg position: This module provides the position and flexible research means within the staff-funding category 'senior researcher/Heisenberg funding' Overview on DFG personnel rates
- Heisenberg temporary substitute position for clinicians: This option offers funding within the staff-funding category 'medical research assistant' of a temporary substitute post and flexible research means. Overview on DFG personnel rates
- Heisenberg professorship: The module allocates funding within the staff-funding category 'professorship' for a temporary professorship at a German institution of higher education and flexible means for research. Overview on DFG personnel rates
- Heisenberg fellowship: This option implies a monthly stipend of EUR 4,450 for the cost of living plus a general allowance of EUR 250 for direct project costs. In addition, allowances for children, to health insurance costs, for travel expenses or a foreign residence allowance may be granted.
- Any of the four modules include a flexible research grant of EUR 1,000 each month or a general allowance for direct project costs, respectively.
Applications are welcome at any time and should be submitted according to the instructions for project proposals.
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Candidates are junior academics from any subject area who are qualified for appointment via habilitation or comparable achievements and who have a record of outstanding scientific accomplishment.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).