Please note that the scholarship database is currently being updated.
Welcome to our scholarship database!
Here you will find information about our DAAD scholarship programmes for international students and researchers as well as offers from other selected funding organisations.
Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation: Georg Forster Research Fellowship for Postdocs
Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation
Tel.: +49 228/833-0
Fax: +49 228/833-199
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The programme is intended for highly qualified scientists and scholars of all disciplines from selected developing or transition countries, excluding PR China and India.
The fellowship enables early-career post-doctoral researchers who completed their doctorate less than 4 years ago to realise a long-term research project (6 to 24 months) of their own design in cooperation with an academic host they have chosen at a research institution in Germany. The research must deal with issues of major relevance to the future development of the applicant's home country or region of origin.
The fellows receive a monthly allowance of 2,670 EUR over a period of 6 to 24 months as well as additional benefits.
young, early-career scientists and scholars from developing or transition countries with outstanding qualifications. Find the list of eligible countries here.
Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than 4 years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation, however, at the earliest, 6 months prior to the completion of their dissertation.
6 to 24 months
The fellowship is worth 2,670 EUR per month. The amount includes a mobility lump sum and payments towards health- and liability insurances.
- travel allowance
- language grant
- allowance for accompanying family members
- standard allowance for single parents with children accompanying them
- option to additionally extend the research grant, if the fellow is accompanied by children under the age of 12
- subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts
- Europe allowance
- extensive alumni sponsorship
Links to the application forms and further information on the application procedure can be found here.
Applications can be submitted at any time.
The Selection Committee responsible for reviewing applications to this programme meets every February, June and October.
- academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses
- research dealing with issues of major relevance to the future development of the applicant's home country or region of origin
- confirmation that research facilities are available, mentoring agreement and detailed expert’s opinion concerning the research proposal by an academic host at a research institution in Germany
- expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and another academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s qualification, preferably a reviewer not working at the applicant’s own institute
- necessary language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German, if it is necessary to carry out the project successfully, otherwise a good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English
- citizenship as well as principal place of residence and work in a developing or transition country
Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submitting the application.
Potential applicants who have completed their school education and a higher-education degree or a higher-education degree and their doctorate in Germany are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located in a developing or transition state on the assumption of permanence for at least 5 years.
Please select your status and your country to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country is not in the list? If your status and/or country is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country in the results list (left-hand column).