ERA Green Hydrogen Fellowships for international Postdocs • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Climate neutrality by the middle of the 21st century is the declared goal of Germany and the EU. Green hydrogen is an important component in the transformation of the energy sector and the decarbonization of emission-intensive sectors. Within the framework of the German and the European hydrogen strategies, we intend to recruit and qualify future specialists and young scientists. In addition, international cooperation, especially in the European Research Area, shall be strengthened and interdisciplinarity and innovative capabilities promoted. The "ERA Fellowships – Green Hydrogen" programme, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), is complemented by comprehensive networking measures and the establishment of four working groups. The working groups will focus on: production, transport and infrastructure, market stimulation (i.e. further development of the market for hydrogen) and cross-cutting issues (i.e. regulation, socio-economic and legal framework). Fellows will continue to be involved in those after the end of the funding period and thus will both receive and offer long-term support from and to the German research and innovation location for green hydrogen.
Who can apply?
PostDocs working in the field of Green Hydrogen (GH2) from universities in the extended European Research Area (ERA)* who want to actively participate in one of the four working groups, also after the end of the fellowship.
Applicants from the following countries are eligible to apply for a fellowship: EU member states, Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Kosovo, Morocco, Republic of Moldova, Montenegro, Northern Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland, Türkiye, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Kingdom.
What can be funded?
The programme provides funding for a research project or continuing academic training at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education in Germany or a non-university research institute, which is being carried out in agreement with a supervisor in Germany.
The fellowship grants access to international working groups and allows for active participation and involvement in a group that can continue after the fellowship ends.
Duration of the funding
1 to 24 months.
The fellowship cannot be extended.
The fellowship covers
- a monthly fellowship instalment of 2,800 Euros
- payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- a lump sum towards international travel costs
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Green Mobility Top Up (Support for climate-friendly travel) or partial reimbursement of carbon offset payments for air travel
- Grant for participation in a congress
The selection committees are composed according to subject and, if applicable, regional criteria. The committee members are appointed by the DAAD Executive Board and are primarily university teachers from German universities. They evaluate the applications and decide on the awarding of the fellowships. DAAD staff members organize the meeting but have no voting rights.
The selection criteria are:
- Academic performance (general grade point average, grade development, dissertation grade)
- Course of studies and doctorate
- Academic achievements after graduation, (e.g. publications, lectures, conference papers)
- Quality of research proposal and preparation (originality, topicality and relevance of the project, choice of host institution and first contacts)
- Feasibility and consistency of research plan and schedule (analysis and evaluation stages)
- Suitability of the applicant’s profile and the research project to the objectives of the program (potential for personal and professional development, use of international networking in the working groups as well as own active contributions in the working groups)
For further information on the selection procedure, please refer to the Important Scholarship Information / Section E.
What requirements must be met?
Please check if the following criteria are fulfilled:
- As a rule, applicants should not have completed their PhD any longer than two years before the application deadline.
- Your application cannot be considered, if you have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline.
Very good English language skills are essential. However, we do not require an official English test. The author of the invitation letter must confirm that your English language skills are sufficient to pursue the research project in Germany.
Applications can be submitted anytime.
The fellowship can be commenced at the beginning of each month.
Please note that applications have to be submitted at least 4 months before the planned starting date.
Funding for the fellowship programme is available until the end of 2025. Please keep this in mind if you want to apply for a fellowship for more than 18 months.
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. The DAAD reserves the right to request certified copies of the documents.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 10 pages), if applicable
- Letter of motivation (1-3 pages) taking into account the following question: What do you hope to gain from your project in Germany (personally, professionally, for your career)? The letter of motivation must also include a statement in which working group you would like to actively participate.
- A proposal, prepared and formulated by yourself, as well as a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages in total). A proposal is an extensive and detailed description of the research project which has been discussed with the academic adviser. Please also read our Important Scholarship Information / section B, point 2.
- Schedule of planned research work
- Confirmation from the academic host in Germany; the confirmation must refer to your project and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace. Also read our Important Scholarship Information / section C, point 3.
- University degree certificate and transcripts of records of your last academic degree (as a rule, PhD; Master, if you have not yet completed your PhD at the time of application). If the documents of your last academic degree are not yet available at the time of application, please be sure to submit them subsequently as soon as possible.
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of practical training/internships or social commitment etc.)
- One recent, supporting letter of recommendation (previously: 'reference') from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab 'Submitting an application'. For this call for applications, it is possible to send in references digitally as an alternative to uploading it on the portal. Please note the information given under 'Application location' for this purpose.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
You submit your application via the DAAD online portal, including the letter of recommendation.
Alternatively, the University teacher writing the reference for you may upload it to our reference database himself/herself using the following link:
Only references may be uploaded. Other application documents may not be uploaded under this link.
The reference file must be named as follows:
"reference_Surname Applicant_First Name Applicant"
Please download the reference form from the DAAD portal and send it to your referee. Give him/her the upload link and the information on how to name the file.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
German Academic Exchange Service
Section ST43 – Research Fellowship Programmes
Team Green Hydrogen
More detailed information
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask him/her to complete the form and to write a freely formulated reference (as described in the form). Please note that the reference form can only be generated in the portal during the application period.
Please generate one reference form per referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Fill out the application form and upload the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.