Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: The German Chancellor Fellowship
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The fellowship is targeted toward higher-education graduates of all disciplines in the United States, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, Brazil, India and South Africa who have an international focus and initial leadership experience. It is aimed at promoting research-based, independently developed projects at host institutions in Germany to be selected by the candidate. Not only should the projects be of social relevance, they should also have a long-term, publicly visible impact. After the conclusion of the programme the fellows act as intermediaries between their home countries and Germany, and remain a part of the world-wide Humboldt network.
The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of the programme, which is funded by the Federal Foreign Office. The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants every year up to 60 Chancellor Fellowships which are worth a maximum funding of EUR 2,750 per month; up to 10 fellowships are awarded to prospective leaders from each of the six above-mentioned countries. The fellowship entails a preparatory intensive language course in Germany, a four-week introductory seminar in Bonn and Berlin, a study trip through Germany and a final meeting with a reception at the Federal Chancellery.
The programme is designed exclusively for candidates from the United States, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, Brazil, India and South Africa: emerging thought and opinion leaders from a wide range of professional fields, such as politics, public administration and business as well as society and culture.
Bachelor’s degree or academic equivalent, earned less than 12 years prior to the beginning of the fellowship which is 1 October of the year following the application
Number of Scholarships
up to 10 fellowships per country and year
one year, fellowship starts every year in October
Funding ranges between EUR 2,150, EUR 2,450 or EUR 2,750 per month – depending on the applicant's academic level; it includes a standard mobility allowance and payments towards health- and liability insurances.
- research cost allowance to the host(s) in Germany of EUR 500 per month
- travel allowance for the fellow's inbound and return journey, if these costs are not borne by a third party
- allowances for accompanying family members for stays of at least 3 months (up to EUR 326 per month for the spouse and up to EUR 244 per month and child)
- German language courses in the country of origin prior to the fellowship and during the stay in Germany to consolidate the proficiency acquired in the intensive language course
- Europe allowance for a stay of one to two months at an institute in a European country other than Germany (however, not the fellow's country of origin), provided that such a stay is necessary for completing the research project
- extensive alumni support
All application forms and further information can be found here
The application deadline is 15 September of each year.
- citizenship of Brazil, the People's Republic of China, India, South Africa, the Russian Federation or the United States
- Bachelor's or comparable academic degree, gained no longer than 12 years prior to the commencement of the sponsorship (1 October of the year following the application)
- first verifiable leadership experience; applicants with a strong academic background should possess initial leadership experience outside of their research field
- English or German language skills
- motivational letter of about two pages
- project plan of about three pages detailing the topic, the objectives and the timeline; the plan must be independently developed by the applicants and agreed with the intended host prior to the application
- detailed expert's report including the confirmation of supervision by an academic host in Germany
- two expert reviews by people in a position to provide reliable information about the professional, personal and/or academic background of the applicant
Potential applicants who have spent more than six months in Germany prior to the application deadline (15 September) are not eligible to apply.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).