Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: German Chancellor Fellowship
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The fellowship is targeted toward higher-education graduates of all disciplines in the United States, the People's Republic of China, Brazil, India and South Africa who have an international outlook and initial leadership experience. It is aimed at promoting research-based, independently developed projects at host institutions in Germany to be selected by the candidate. Not only should the projects be of social relevance, they should also have a long-term, publicly visible impact. After the conclusion of the programme the fellows act as intermediaries between their home countries and Germany, and remain a part of the world-wide Humboldt network.
The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of the programme, which is funded by the Federal Foreign Office. The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants every year up to 50 Chancellor Fellowships which are worth a maximum funding of 2,600 EUR per month; up to 10 fellowships are awarded to prospective leaders from each of the 5 above-mentioned countries. The fellowship entails a preparatory intensive language course in Germany, a half-time conference as well as joint events and networking activities with other fellows.
The programme is designed exclusively for candidates from the United States, the People's Republic of China, Brazil, India and South Africa: emerging thought and opinion leaders from a wide range of professional fields, such as politics, public administration and business, media as well as society and culture.
Bachelor’s degree or academic equivalent, earned less than 12 years prior to the beginning of the fellowship which is 1 October of the year following the application
Number of Scholarships
up to 10 fellowships per country and year
One year, fellowships are recommended to start every year in October.
Funding ranges between 2,000 EUR, 2,300 EUR or 2,600 EUR per month – depending on the applicant's academic level and professional experience. Additionally, a standard mobility allowance and payments towards health- and liability insurances are offered.
- research cost allowance to the host(s) in Germany of 500 EUR per month
- additional financial support, e.g., for accompanying family members, for travel costs, health insurance or an additional German language course
- a number of events
- Europe allowance for a stay of 1 to 2 months at an institute in a European country other than Germany (however, not the fellow's country of origin), provided that such a stay is necessary for completing the research project
- extensive alumni support
All application forms and further information can be found here.
Applications are accepted from May to 15 October of each year.
- citizenship of Brazil, the People's Republic of China, India, South Africa or the United States
- Bachelor's or comparable academic degree, gained no longer than 12 years prior to the commencement of the sponsorship (1 October of the year following the application)
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- English or German language skills
- motivational letter
- project plan detailing the topic, the objectives and the timeline; the plan must be independently developed by the applicants and agreed with the intended host prior to the application; it must explain the intended project's societal significance, and how the fellow will be able to build bridges between Germany and their home country in the future
- detailed expert's report including the confirmation of supervision by an academic host in Germany
- 2 expert reviews by people in a position to provide reliable information about the professional, personal and/or academic background of the applicant (the reviews must have been issued no longer than 12 months ago)
Applicants who have previously been to Germany must have been predominantly living and working in a programme country for a minimum of 12 months in the 18-month period prior to the application deadline (15 October of each year).
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).