TheMuseumsLab • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Applicable to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
TheMuseumsLab is a pioneering knowledge-exchange programme for joint learning and continuing education concerning the future of museums in Africa and Europe. As a platform for shared expertise and perspectives, TheMuseumsLab aims to build strong and lasting networks to not only change museums, but also to foster social change by addressing urgent issues such as social justice and climate change.
Who can apply?
African und European Museum professionals who have at least two years experience of working in the museum, heritage, or art sector.
What can be funded?
The participation in the complete programme of 2023
Duration of the funding
Programme activities will take place from May 2023 to November 2023.
May 2023: Programme kick-off and seminar module 1 (1 day, 1 week, online)
June/July 2023: Seminar module 2 and residencies (3 weeks, onsite Berlin/Europe/Africa)
September 2023: Seminar module 3 and project work (2 weeks, onsite Africa (location tbd))
November 2023: Follow-Up (1 day, online)
For the onsite phases the following programme-related costs will be covered by the DAAD:
- International and national transport
- Local public transport (also from and to airports onsite)
- Visa costs
- Health insurance (via DAAD group contract/reimbursement up to a certain amount)
- Entrance fees (DAAD-organized programme slots)
- Daily allowance
A committee of internal and external experts will review applications.
The selection criteria are:
Professional competencies and experiences
- At least two years experience of working in the museum, heritage or art sector
- Focus on programme relevant topics
- HEI degree in a museum, heritage, art related field
Potential of the applicant
- Motivation: professional and personal reasons for the participation in the programme
- Prospects: Significance of the participation in the programme for further professional and personal development
- Ability to question established structures
- Desire to hold a leading position and to act as a multiplier
- Sufficient English skills (Level C1)
Commitment to the programme
- A prerequisite for the selection of a candidate is her/his/their binding commitment to participate in all phases of The MuseumsLab. The quality of the programme depends on fellows’ participation in all events and continuous work on topics across three modules and intense exchange, both among themselves and with the speakers and lecturers. Employer must provide of letter of consent and approved leave for training purpose.
The programme was developed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the Museum für Naturkunde Berlin (MfN), the Master‘s Programme in Museum Management and Communication at the Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW) and the African consultancy group The Advisors.
It consists of a seminar (three modules), residencies at European and African partner museums] and a project phase.
It will start with an online phase (kick-off and module 1) in May 2023, continue with the first presence phase (module 2 in Berlin, residencies at European and African partner museums) in June 2023 and close with the second presence phase (module 3, project work in Africa (location tbd)) in September 2023.
You can find an overview of partner institutions that hosted fellows in the framework of TheMusemsLab 2021 & 2022 here.
What requirements must be met?
- Currently working in the museum, heritage or art sector
- At least two years working experience in the museum, heritage or art sector
- Sufficient English skills (Level C1)
- Place of residence at time of applying must be in Africa or Europe
Sufficient English Skills (Level C1)
Please upload the following documents via DAAD portal:
- Application Form TheMuseumsLab 2023 (mandatory, in English); by uploading it to your application, please select the attachement type "progamme specific application form"
- CV (mandatory, in English)
- Letter of Recommendation (mandatory, in English)
- Degree Certificates (in English if available)
- Information about former or current work projects (in English)
- Language certificates (in English if available)
The Application Deadline is on Monday, 14 November 2022
The programme is expected to start in May 2023.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Government Liaison Office Berlin
DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
German Academic Exchange Service
im WissenschaftsForum Berlin am Gendarmenmarkt
For further questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More detailed information
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
Access to the DAAD portal is usually opened at least 6 weeks before the application deadline.
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except work samples) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.