Future Ukraine: Research Grants for Ukrainian Master´s students and researchers • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Funding of highly qualified Ukrainian graduates, doctoral candidates and postdoctoral researchers for short research stays in Germany in order to strengthen cooperation between Ukrainian and German universities and to give young Ukrainian scientists access to research infrastructures in Germany. The aim of the programme is to support universities in Ukraine and to enable young scientists to contribute to the reconstruction of Ukraine and its science landscape.
Who can apply?
Highly qualified Ukrainian graduate students (Master's students), doctoral students, postdoctoral researchers (postdocs, university teachers) working/enrolled in higher education institutions in Ukraine, regardless of the country in which they currently reside.
What can be funded?
The programme provides funding for a research stay at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education or a non-university research institute in Germany, which is being carried out in coordination with a scientific host/supervisor in Germany. Project proposals from all academic disciplines are eligible for funding.
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for one month to a maximum of six months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
- Applications must be submitted at least three months before the planned research stay.
- Possible funding period: 1.3.2024 to 31.1.2025.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of
- euros 934.- for Master´s students
- euros 1,300.- for doctoral candidates
- euros 2000.- for postdocs
- euros 2150.- for experienced researchers with a doctorate and university teachers
- euros 2300,- for professors
- if applicable: Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- if applicable: Travel allowance
- in the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
An independent selection committee consisting of professors from German universities or research facilities reviews applications.
Central selection criteria are:
- a convincing and well-planned research project,
- academic achievements.
Furthermore, additional documents that prove the applicant's professional aptitude or provide information about extracurricular commitment can be submitted and will also be included in the evaluation.
In addition, the selection committee will give due consideration to aspects of equal opportunities, on which you can provide information in the application form.
For more information on the selection procedure, go to Important Scholarship Information / Section E.
What requirements must be met?
- Applicants must be enrolled in or work at a Ukrainian university or a state-recognized research institution and have the Ukrainian citizenship.
- Third-country nationals who have resided in Ukraine with a permanent residence permit before or on February 24, 2022 are also eligible to apply.
For applicants from the fields of human medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry, other regulations are applicable. Please refer to www.daad.de/extrainfo.
Good knowledge of German and/or English
Applications must be submitted at least three months before the planned research stay.
Start of funding possible from March 2024.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of your published publications (max. 10 pages), if available
- Research proposal as well as presentation of previous research work (max. 5 pages in total). A proposal is a detailed and precise description of the research project which has been agreed upon with the scientific supervisor in Germany
- Schedule of the planned research work (work plan)
- Confirmation of supervision by the academic host in Germany; the confirmation must refer to your project and assure that the host institution in Germany will provide you with a workplace
- Last university degree certificate with indication of final grade(s) or doctoral degree certificate
- Other documents that support your application (e.g. certificates of employment, proof of internships or voluntary work, etc.)
- Proof of knowledge of the research language (German, English or other)
- Proof of affiliation with a Ukrainian higher education institution
- Proof of Ukrainian citizenship or permanent residence permit
- German or English translations of documents submitted in any other language (certification not required)
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that your application is complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Your personal data is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
German Academic Exchange Service
More detailed information
- DAAD website 'Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants'
- DAAD website section 'Doing a PhD and Research in Germany'
- Website 'Research in Germany'
- Website 'GERiT – German Research Institutions'
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
Click on 'Application portal' at the bottom of the page to go to the DAAD portal. There you will be provided with an online application form to enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider the availability of the hotline as well as possible processing times of your request when you are planning your application.