Bilateral Exchange of Academics • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
To improve international relations and bilateral research cooperations between German and foreign universities, the DAAD supports the exchange of scientists and academics. The basis for the exchange of scientists are cultural exchange programmes between the Federal Republic of Germany and partner countries as well as bilateral agreements with foreign partner organisations. The scholarships are funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Who can apply?
The programme is aimed at university teachers and experienced academics and scientists. As a rule, you should have a doctorate and you should be working at a university or research institute in your home country.
What can be funded?
Research stays at state or state-recognised universities or non-university research institutes in Germany are funded.
- This programme funds exchanges between scientists and researchers from Germany and partner countries. In the implementation of the bilateral programme, care is taken to ensure equal exchanges in both directions.
- Lecture tours or visits to congresses are not funded.
Duration of the funding
Your research stay should last at least 14 days (for stays from applicants from EU countries as well as from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Ukraine: at least 7 days) up to a maximum of three months. Please indicate in your application form how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process, taking into account your study plan.
The grant cannot be extended.
- Monthly payments of:
2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers
2,150 euros for professors
- Unless otherwise regulated by bilateral agreements, the costs of the outward and return journey are borne by the respective sending country.
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Please note: Health insurance coverage is mandatory in Germany. If you do not have a corresponding home health insurance, you will be insured by the DAAD. The costs will be deducted from the scholarship payment.
An independent selection committee reviews applications.
The most important selection criteria are:
- Your academic achievements and, if applicable, your publications, which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications (see ‘Application documents’)
- A convincing and well-planned research project (see ‘Application documents’)
What requirements must be met?
- You must work at a university or research institution in your home country.
- You must coordinate the date and purpose of your stay in advance with your host institution in Germany see (‘Application documents’). A workplace must be provided.
Application deadlines are updated annually in the second quarter. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. You can find the current dates here:
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of your academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 10 pages). Also read our Important information for scholarship applicants / section B, point 2.
- Time plan for your planned research visit (please also name the host institute(s) and academic hosts).
- Written confirmation from your host (informal) about the academic cooperation that must refer to your proposal and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- (If documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that your application is complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Your personal data is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
More detailed information
- DAAD website section 'Doing a PhD and Research in Germany'
- Website 'Research in Germany'
- Website 'GERiT – German Research Institutions'
- DAAD website 'Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants'
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
Applications for this scholarship programme are possible in the period June until the stated application deadline.
Click on 'Application portal' at the bottom of the page to go to the DAAD portal. There you will be provided with an online application form to enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. 'Application documents for scholarship (contains no commercial goods, no merchandise or insurable value)'.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider the availability of the hotline as well as possible processing times of your request.