Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarships • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is a program of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) with funding provided by the U.S. government and is supported in its implementation by the Institute of International Education (IIE). The new cooperation “Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarships” between DAAD, the U.S. Department of State and IIE shall provide extra opportunities for American students to study in Germany by providing up to 40 scholarships per year by DAAD. The program supports a wider effort to increase and diversify international student mobility among German and U.S. higher education institutions.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarship, applicants must meet all of the eligibility requirements for a regular Gilman Scholarship as stated under https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/applicants/eligibility/.
In addition, applicants
- must be matriculated full-time in a degree program in a U.S. accredited college or university and still be matriculated upon completion of their education abroad program, and
- must have completed their second year of study at the time of departure. If students are matriculated at a community college, they must demonstrate that they will be transferring into a four-year (Bachelor’s) degree program after completing their education abroad program, and
- must participate in a program that fits the program eligibility as described below.
- Students who have received a Gilman Scholarship funded by ECA in the past or who are receiving Gilman funding at the time of application are not eligible for application for a Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarship.
What can be funded?
- Summer or winter short-term course (up to three months) at a German university: This course can be offered through the applicant’s home institution’s German partner university or through one of DAAD’s pre-approved list of summer courses (in English or German) as listed under https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/sommerkurse/en/
- Semester or academic year at a German university: This program can be offered through a partner university of the applicant’s home institution, through direct matriculation, or through enrollment offered by a third-party provider.
- Study abroad program through a third-party provider: These programs will only be eligible if (a) the student is directly enrolled in a Germany university, or (b) the student participates in a hybrid model, where the student also takes courses at a German university, or if the student has structured interaction with German students and faculty as part of the study abroad program. In all cases the education abroad program must be in Germany.
- Internships: Internships in Germany that will ultimately bear credit from the home institution in the U.S. are eligible and are at least 6 weeks in length.
Duration of the funding
1 – 12 months
- Funding of up to USD $ 5.000 depending on each scholar’s financial need (determined by IIE)
- health-, accident- and private liability insurance
- Meeting for Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarship Holders in Germany (if applicable)
The application for the scholarship will be officially announced twice a year in mid-January and mid-August at https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/. Application deadline dates shall be March and October. For further information and the application please visit the official Gilman website as stated above.
Please select your status and your country to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country is not in the list? If your status and/or country is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country in the results list (left-hand column).