The programme has a duration of four semesters. This comprises one semester in Coburg at the Coburg University of Applied Sciences and Arts (CUASA), one semester in Shanghai at the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (USST) or in Italy at the University of Siena, and a practical internship in Germany for international students and abroad for German students. The last semester is dedicated to the Master's thesis.
You will attend lectures, but you will also gain hands-on experience through lab experiments. Throughout the semester, you will get the chance to work on your own project and take a look at the newest applications in industry.
Main subjects covered in Coburg
- Sensor Technology
- Computer-Based Measurement Technology
- Mathematical Data Analysis
Electives in Coburg
- Optical Methods and Technologies
- Methods of Instrumental Analysis
- Design of Experiments
- Academic Reporting and Documentation
- Chemical Sensors
- Further emerging technology electives
Main subjects covered in Shanghai
- Digital Signal Processing
- Photoelectric Detection
Electives in Shanghai
- Automotive Electronics
- Optical Imaging and Image Processing Technology
Subjects in Siena (you can choose among them)
- Industrial Reliability
- Mobile Communications and IoT
- Sensors and Microsystems
- Digital Embedded Electronics for Smart Industry
- Manufacturing Strategies and Operations
- Modern Communication Technologies for 5G and Beyond
Most courses will end with a written exam. In some courses, you will have to prepare a portfolio. For the project work, students will have to give a presentation and write a report about their projects. Also, for company or fair visits, a report is requested. Nearly all courses have a practical part in the lab. Students have to write reports about the experiments in the lab, too.
International students must spend one semester at one of our partner universities in Shanghai or in Siena and at least one year in Germany. German students have to complete one semester of coursework as well as the practical internship abroad.
An internship is a required part of the AIMS programme. It takes at least 12 weeks, but it can also be extended. Students may take advantage of our well-developed network with companies in order to find an appropriate placement.