Foundation Year Foundation Year
Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
Unfortunately, this course has already ended.
- Teaching language
- September 02, 2019 - June 05, 2020 (Registration deadline of course provider: August 15, 2019)
- More information on course dates
The rolling admission process for autumn intake begins on 15 October and closes at the latest on 15 August. Students who require a visa for Germany should apply by 15 June, since the visa process can take up to two months.
Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. As spaces are limited and are filling up quickly, we recommend students to apply as early as possible.
The programme starts on 27 August with an orientation week and ends on 5 June with the graduation ceremony.
Planning and preparing for your academic future is an important step. Join Jacobs University's Foundation Year Programme to explore different fields of study and to acquire academic learning skills before starting your Bachelor's degree. All students who successfully complete the programme receive guaranteed admission to Jacobs University's undergraduate programmes. Based on your individual academic background and your needs and goals, you can design your own Foundation Year learning experience. As a Foundation Year student, you can attend undergraduate courses from various fields of study and choose between different types of preparatory classes to improve your academic skills. The language of instruction is English.
With the support of an academic adviser and the Foundation Year team, students design their own curriculum that will help them reach their personal goals. During the programme, students can choose courses from the following areas:
- Participation in regular undergraduate courses
- Personal skills training
- Subject-related courses designed for Foundation Year students
- Academic English
- SAT preparation
- Language courses (e.g., German)
An important component of Jacobs University's educational mission is to foster students' interpersonal and intercultural competencies, which are increasingly important in an interconnected, globalised world. Foundation Year students can take full advantage of the many learning opportunities inside and outside of the classroom. Students become immersed in the intercultural campus environment, take part in the various sports activities offered, or become members of one of the 30 political, social, academic, and entrepreneurial clubs, such as Model United Nations or the Debating Society.
The green, 34-hectare campus is home to 1,400 students from more than 110 nations. The student residential colleges offer a safe, interactive, and inspiring environment. All students are housed in modern single rooms. The in-college cafeterias offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner and are great spaces to meet, chat, and relax with friends. The campus features a state-of-the-art recreation centre and well-equipped activity areas, including sports courts, art and dancing studios, and multimedia rooms.
- Course components
- Subject-specific preparation
- Preparation for academic working methods
- Intercultural training
- General preparation for studies
- Preparation for entrance examinations
- Language course
- Further information on the language course / language courses
The following language courses are offered on campus: Academic English, German (Goethe-Institut), French (Institut Français), and Spanish (Instituto Cervantes).
- Recognised language exams offered (e.g. DSH, TestDaF, TOEFL)
- Do course participants have student status?
- ECTS credits (max.)
- Does this course involve taking the university entrance examination or does the course specifically prepare students for this examination?
- Preparation for degree programmes
- Bachelor's degree
- Preparation for subject groups
- Law, Economics and Social Sciences
- Mathematics, Natural Sciences
- Further information on subsequent admission to degree programmes/guaranteed admission
Students who successfully complete the programme will be granted admission to Jacobs University's undergraduate programmes.
- 23,000 EUR
- This price includes
- Course fees
- Course fees for language course
- Further information regarding the price
The price covers all costs associated with the programme, including tuition, room and board, a semester ticket for local transportation, and testing fees. Further information regarding the services included in the programme fee can be found here:
- Academic admission requirements
Online application form
High school diploma and transcripts
Letter of recommendation
Proof of English language proficiency
- Language requirements
English language skills equivalent to level B1 of the European Framework [(65 on the TOEFL iBT / 5.5 on the IELTS (UK) or the Cambridge Certificate (FCE)]
- Do applicants require a higher education entrance qualification recognised in Germany?
- Do applicants have to have already been admitted to a study programme at your university?
- Submit application to
- Is accommodation organised?
- Accommodation is arranged by the organiser.
- Type of accommodation
All colleges on our campus are home to students of mixed ages, nationalities, and cultures. All Foundation Year and undergraduate students live in furnished rooms within a modern two-bedroom apartment unit sharing bathroom facilities with another student.
Every college has study areas, group meeting rooms, and a recreational lounge.
All meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in the college cafeterias are included in the programme fee. Various meal options cater to our international student body and to special dietary needs, such as vegetarian and vegan diets.
- Is a social and leisure programme offered?
- Description of social and leisure programme
Many extracurricular activities are offered on campus. Students can join numerous clubs, including sports clubs (soccer, rowing, frisbee, etc.), art clubs (music, dance, theatre, etc.), and community clubs (environmental club, Rotaract, debating, etc.). Jacobs students form their own student government, which represents the interests of the community.
- Free internet access
- Support in visa matters
- Pick-up service from train station/airport
Jacobs University Bremen
Jacobs University is a highly selective, international, residential university with English-language instruction. More than 70% of our students come from countries other than Germany, and we host students from over 110 nations. This plurality allows our community to break down cultural barriers and create a community where no one group constitutes a majority. Instead, students from all over the world live and study together on our lush, 34 hectare campus.
An excellent academic education is not enough to address present and future global concerns. Initiative, creativity, responsible leadership, social awareness, and a passion for lifelong learning are essential traits that Jacobs University seeks to nurture. The core of the Jacobs spirit is the importance of mutual respect and understanding of the many cultures that come together on our campus.
Jacobs University is located in the northern district of the city of Bremen, close to the North Sea. Bremen, a Hanseatic city, is known for its shipping industry, together with the port of Bremerhaven, 70 km away. Over 35,000 students study in the region, a fact which is reflected in the lively off-campus life in the city. There are many restaurants, pubs, clubs, museums, theatres, and other venues for students to explore.
- » Bachelor of Arts in Global Economics and Management • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Arts in Integrated Social and Cognitive Psychology • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Arts in International Business Administration • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Arts in International Relations: Politics and History • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Arts in Society, Media, Politics • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Cell Biology (BCCB) • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biotechnology • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Computer Science • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering & Management • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Mathematics • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Physics • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Bachelor of Science in Robotics and Intelligent Systems • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » BSc in Medicinal Chemistry & Chemical Biology (MCCB) • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Master of Science in Data Engineering • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen
- » Master of Science in Supply Chain Management (SCM) • Jacobs University Bremen • Bremen