Courses in the major are all taught in English, and students write their course work and the BA thesis in English. Depending on the minor, courses in the minor are taught in German.
EU applicants: April to October
Non-EU applicants: 15 July
The English and American Studies degree programme provides students with fundamental knowledge in literature, cultural studies, and linguistics, focusing on the Anglophone world. The University of Bayreuth, whose humanities and social sciences participate actively in the "Africa Multiple" Cluster of Excellence, emphasises interdisciplinary and transcultural approaches. Graduates from the programme will be able to participate in the ever more necessary economic and cultural exchange between nations.
Structure and contents
In the course of their studies, students choose one of three areas of specialisation:
- English studies (emphasis on English literature and cultural studies)
- American Studies (emphasis on American literary and cultural studies)
- Linguistics (focus on English linguistics)
In addition, the course offers elective modules (e.g. research communication, interdisciplinary orientation, or an additional foreign language) as well as a range of minor subjects that further increase multidisciplinary competence. The programme allows you to put together a curriculum that suits your needs and objectives within this framework.
Find more information on the programme here (in German).
You are building your profile – the minor.
Right at the beginning of your studies, when you enrol in the English and American Studies Bachelor's programme, you will select a minor worth 49 credit points. The minor is fully integrated into the course of study. Minor subjects interconnect areas of expertise or broaden subject-specific competencies. One thing you need to know right from the beginning: most minors are taught in German, so an excellent command (B2) of both German and English is a requirement for entering the programme.
For the English and American Studies Bachelor's programme, you can choose from the following minors:
- African Verbal and Visual Arts (Languages, Literatures, Media, and Art)
- Applied Computer Science – Multimedia
- Arabic and Islamic Language and Culture Studies
- Didactics of German as a Second Language
- German Studies
- Intercultural German Studies (German as a Foreign Language)
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Theatre Didactics
- Theatre Studies
- Economic and Social Geography